Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Week Three: Portal to Media Literacy Video

WHOA !!!
This pretty much sums it up.



I've actually seen this video before this class assignment,
or at least portions of it.
Twenty minutes in, and he kind of loses me....around the segment of 'tagging'
...I'm interested, just a bit lost.

I love how he utilizes new technologies along with his students in order to critically THINK and ILLUMINATE ideas....the idea that students can get any and or all of the information we give them elsewhere means we have the great opportunity to expand on that, to teach the skills that will enable them to take it all that much further, manipulate, extend, question, twist, 
and develop in so many ways.
It make's me realize tht it might have been presumptuous naming these new skills
 'The 21st CenturyLearning Objectives'...while someone is out there defining 
'The 21st Learning Objectives NL' (next level? lame! I know but 2.0 was cliche)


"He's been teaching for only four years!"
-incredible, lucky students

"The classroom as an Information Dump!"

-hard to argue, scary for some

"Information is easy to find!"
-if we don't teach content, what do we teach?

"We need to ask the right questions (of our students)"
-ahhhh, leading them to learn, and learning along side of them

"Nobody is as smart as everybody!"

- it's a whole new meaning for collaboration

Other clips I have found that highlight some of the same premises as the above:
Rethinking Education
Education

2 comments:

  1. Wow.... love the visual. I totally agree with you on the video and feeling lost after about 20 minutes. I have tried many times to get through the video but was a bit overwhelmed as I was going through it. I do agree with the idea that sometimes classes can be looked at as an information dump. I am always trying to find new ways to help my students extend their thinking and how to get them to think critically. I also like his comment about "Nobody is as smart as everybody!" This really does sum up where education is going in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding--he talked nonstop for that entire 1-hour plus time......and without a potty break for all the coffee that he had to have had before he started.

    “Students learn what they care about, from people they care about and who, they know, care about them.” --Barbara Harrell Carson

    I think the whole second half, where most tuned out, was about creating "Meaningful" connections. I think he could have stopped after the quote and his statement. We would have trusted what he said. I am though, a little sketchy about the idea of "Meaningful" when an interaction is totally digitally based. In the same way that kids think that 684 friends on FaceBook means that they have 648 FRIENDS in their lives.

    He does explain the difference between semantic and personal meaning but how many kids are going to sit through his video?

    Kinda snarky, but I do agree.....mostly and find his work interesting......mostly.....would not want to be one of those looking at the 12,000 websites in the past week that he referenced.

    ReplyDelete