Monday, September 24, 2012

Week Two: Chapter One and Two

My "Thinking Map" of Chapter 1 & 2: The Connected Educator.


These chapters made my head spin. Again, excitement mixed with trepidation. I had to use this 'thinking map', a strategy from a previous graduate class, Theories of Learning and Cognitive Development, to sort out the key points. If you are not familiar with Thinking Maps, this one is a Circle Map (obviously), used to organize thoughts around a central topic. The outer square is the Frame of Reference, what influences how we take this all in.

Some of the concepts I held on to were illuminated in more visual formats, I am a very visual learner, so this makes sense. Three comes to mind:

First is the Cooperation vs. Collaboration:
Cooperation is a necessity in education, it happens in classrooms, between departments, etc. True collaboration is tougher. I can imagine many reasons why; time to work together, fear of exposing one's classroom practices to peer review, scheduling, and support. Thinking differently about collaboration, looking outside our buildings, across continents, and through various web tools, just may inspire more to explore the possibilities.





The next is the Self-Evaluation Rubric:
I personally love these self-assesment devices. Reflecting on where I am at, how far I have come, and what my next steps are is far more valuable than sitting in a workshop that may only may marginally apply to my needs. Here is an interesting site with a variety of these self-assessments on Digital Citizenship and Digital Literacy.

http://www.diigo.com/list/abubnic/digital-citizenship_literacy-assessment


And finally the Developing a Connected Learner Model:
This I had to study. Ir is a new language, with vastly wider potential, and I am looking for my own way in. I do some of this, in small parts....just today I responded to a teacher in Wisconsin's search for research-based curricula, and then followed up on another teachers suggested resources. List serve emails within the profession are a type of Community of Practice.


A note about the end of Chapter One, a day in the life of a Connected Educator: although very connected, and exciting...I couldn't help wondering when she got to 'go to son's soccer game', or 'walk the dogs', or 'meet friend for coffee'....I'm sure the piece was just meant to highlight the efficiency in terms of being an Educator but it felt impersonal, and ironically, disconnected, from life.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice post. I love your graphics.
    Thinking maps are great tools for visualizing yourself or your students within the scope of it all. I begin to see them as overwhelming when you take in the scope of the map. For me, it is just one thing at a time, attacking your thinking map points along the way as a guide.
    Technology is about Asynchronicity.
    Synchronicity can be seen in relationship to human development. A typical infant learns to roll before crawling, and learns to crawling and pull up before standing. Standing before walking.

    Asynchronicity is developmental but not necessarily mandated to following a set order. Typically, we achieve the full complement of skills in the end. We get there in our own ways. I believe, THAT IS how we attain Technology proficiency. We learn because we need it, not because we are following a set order like a manual or textbook.

    I enjoyed the distinction between Cooperation and Collaboration. I also feel that cooperation can happen amongst a group organically, through shared leadership. Whereas, there does need to be "Vision" along with an individual to hold that vision and facilitate others fit within the vision. (Strategic Plans) That does not mean that the "vision" is not flexible. It can be very flexible and evolve but happens within a framework. To date, I have not experienced an openloop collaboration.

    I conduct a choir and have been the artistic director/director of local theater producations. My fondest successes were always within a collaborative model. Everyone brings their talents to the "table" and I was able to facilitate our vision within restraints of budget, time, story and abilities. Schools can work the same way. But only within a framework of trust.

    ReplyDelete