Saturday, October 20, 2012

Week Five: Midterm Reflection AND FINAL REFLECTION



Course Objectives:

  • Provide instruction and modeling regarding digital etiquette and responsible social interactions related to the use of technology and information.

I believe we have touched on this. With adult learners, it is more about the modeling. Since we are all educators, I hope we are all aware of the need, and have the ability to be, responsible. I think we have explored this quite a bit. I know that I have become much more adept at keeping assignemtns and questions more open and challenging so that copy/paste isn't really an issue.

  • Promote and demonstrate effective use of digital tools and resources. Familiarize students with Web2.0 tools that may be used professionally or within the classroom environment to establish deeper learning experiences through proper curricular standard driven development.

Working all this into the standards is my major task here. I have gained a lot of confidence using these tools in this space. The challenge is working it into my classroom, and keeping focused on the content and using this as a new tool.

  • Become familiar with current technology issues, trends and technology use within the K- 12 environment. Discuss how technology use impacts student learning outcomes.

I want to meet my students in a way that makes them WANT to learn, don't we all? It's obvious that when students can apply learning to real life, right now, or they experience an authentic audience for their work, not just a grade book, they work 'up' to the opportunity. Don't we? These tools give them methods of learning that they can 'see' how it can be applied. it makes it exciting again. Again, my big 'a-ha' is not feeling that I have to be the expert in front of the assignment.

  • Design and implement digitally-based learning experiences with multiple and varied formative and summative assessments

We haven't really practiced this yet. I have read quite a bit, and it is all getting clearer but I still have a lot of work to implement this into my teaching to the degree that I feel is needed. This turned out to be easier than I thought, as I have stated, I feel that a lot of my technology integration has been a boost to my formative assessment strategies.

  • Establish a core personal learning network of technology leaders to follow. Utilize this new network of educators as personal professional development.

Work in progress. I see the potential. i just haven't been able to devote the time to really get a meaningful conversation, or ritual going on. Here, I am still just getting it together. I have not put the time into making it a meaningful, rather than cluttered experience, i just haven't gotten there.
  • Use knowledge of digital tools and technology applications to facilitate experiences that advance learning, creativity, and innovation in both face-to-face and virtual environments.

I am enjoying bringing in new topics and tools to the classroom, and I am much more open and willing to experiment where as before this class, I was more concerned with mastering a tool before implementing it....now, I see using and learning it together as integrating technology. I can learn to avoid any pitfalls with this kind of real-time teaching/learning by using my professional networks, gettting tips, hints, and ideas from others who have already done it. Sweet. Ditto, Sweet! Still on this path...

  • Evaluate, adapt, and reflect on emerging tools and trends by participating in local and global learning communities and by reviewing current research and professional literature.

Work in progress........probably always will be. REFLECT, REFLECT, REFLECT !!!

1 comment:

  1. Great post. "I want to meet my students in a way that makes them WANT to learn, don't we all?" Yes, Yes, Yes.....I am amazed at how long this takes for educators to realize. Benjamine Zander calls the "WANT (ing) to learn," "shinning eyes." When he looks out into the audience or orchestra and sees the "shinning eyes" looking back at him, let him know he is doing good things.

    I too was one that felt I needed to have mastery before implementation. In relationship to technology I find that the students and I can walk this journey together.

    ReplyDelete